The Entrepreneur Pathway targets business people who wish to establish themselves in Manitoba, either by purchasing, starting, or becoming partners in an existing business. Potential candidates arrive in Canada on a temporary resident permit, and must buy, start, or join a business within 24 months of arrival in order to obtain permanent resident status.
Minimum of three years of full time work experience in the past five years either as an active business owner or working in a senior management role of a successful business.
Business owners are given higher points in comparison to senior managers.
Business owners must have at least 33 1/3% ownership to qualify for points.
Minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5
Minimum Canadian high school certificate equivalent
No minimum or maximum age; however, ranking points are allocated to candidates 25 to 49 years of age.
Minimum investment is $250,000 for businesses located in the Manitoba Capital Region.
Minimum investment is $150,000 if a business is located outside of the Manitoba Capital Region.
Business investment must be made in an eligible business as defined by the MPNP.
The proposed business must create or maintain at least one job for a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident in Manitoba (excluding owners of the business and/or their close relatives).
Business Research Visit
A Business Plan is required and is an integral part of the application.
A business research visit allows the applicant to conduct extensive research of their future business investment or proposal. The Business Research Visit must be conducted no more than one year prior to the submission of your EOI.
• Applicants spouse has CLB 5 or higher.
• Applicant or spouse have CLB 5 or higher in the second official language.
• Applicant or spouse or common-law partner have a close
relative currently residing in Manitoba for more than one year.
• Applicant has a child enrolled in an accredited Manitoba educational institution and is actively pursuing academic, professional or vocational training on a full-time basis for at least six months prior to the date of submission of EOI; and/or
• Applicant or accompanying spouse or common-law partner have completed a program of full-time study for at least one year at a post-secondary institution in Manitoba. An applicant or his or her accompanying spouse or common-law partner must have done this after applicant turned 17 years old and holds a valid study permit.
• Applicant or accompanying spouse or common-law partner have completed at least six months of continuous full-time employment in Manitoba. A letter of reference from the employer and a copy of the work permit must be provided.
Minimum of $500,000 Your personal net worth will be verified by a third-party supplier approved by the MPNP. A verification report, along with the application, must be submitted to the MPNP within 120 days of receiving your LAA.
Business Performance Agreement
After an application is approved, a Business Performance Agreement (BPA) must be signed prior to the MPNP issuing you a letter of support for applying for a work permit.